Thursday, June 19, 2008

Origin of Tater

A large number of people who blog have cute monikers for their kids. The vast majority choose not to put their children's real names out there. I have followed along in this regard. But rather than referring to her as the Baby I have chosen Tater. It wasn't a random choice. There is a cute story behind it.

See, we have a friend who calls everyone "Sparky" and it has become her nickname as well. So when I was still pregnant with the Tater my husband issued the edict that Sparky can NOT under no circumstances call the baby Sparky. It bugs him for some reason. So Sparky had to come up with another nickname for the baby. My husband is a big fan of the Blue Collar C0medy Tour. (Yeah, I know a lot of you are thinking: Thank you Captain Obvious, for we would have never known that) Specifically, a fan of Ron "The Tater" White. Thus a Tater Tot was born. At first I was against this nickname. It was country as all get out for one. And I didn't want to traumatize my child. But once she got here and she was such a little thing. She did kind of resemble a Tater Tot all wrapped up. So it stuck. We had us one sweet Tater Tot.

Over time that segwayed into Tater, and (Real Name) Potato, Sweet Tater and sometimes just Potato. The funny thing is she answers to all of those names and her real one too. At some point I started to worry she wouldn't know her real name so I made it a point to call her that most of the time. But to my husband and Sparky - she's Tater. And now to most of you as well.

No comments: