It could be worse. I could have said, Let's talk about sh!t. But no, I won't even go into what happens to baby feces when said baby has been swallowing excess saliva due to teething pain. I won't even mention the horrific things that I have seen. Or smelled. Done. Not talking about it.
I would like to say I am on the fence with this whole late teething thing, not that I get a choice. Most babies start teething anywhere from 4-6 months. My husband was a late teether and the Tater is too. So she didn't get her 1st tooth until after 12 months old. And within the past month and a half she has gotten two teeth - completely broken through the gums. Now her upper gums are super swollen. Which tells me that the two front teeth are on the way, also the fact that see keeps grabbing her upper gums and screaming (that clued me in too). It may be several weeks before either of them actually make an appearance. And let me just tell you the joy I feel over knowing that the fussiness and drool and snot that comes with teething is going to continue for several more weeks.
But I digress (yeah, I know, what else is new). The part that I am on the fence about is this. Have you ever seen a two year old that didn't have 8+ teeth in his or her mouth. Me neither. Which means that around two, as in other developmental milestones, the teething rate evens out. So it stands to reason that the Tater will have some rapid roots in the next few months.
Did we luck out that we had that whole first year with no teething. As a mom that breastfeed I can say for sure that part of me is really glad for the no teeth until after one. But instead of having the teething pain all spread out over two years, the Tater is going to experience it in 6-12 months. Is it better? If it were me I would rather have it all at once. But I am like that. A rip the band-aid off quick kind of person. What if Tater isn't. What if she is a peel the band-aid back, one excruciating little hair at a time kind of person. She doesn't get a choice. And that doesn't seem fair. And I know we could all say it together, "Life is not fair". It doesn't make it any easier to watch and it sure isn't doing anything for her demeanor either.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment